The History of the Finnish Museum of Photography

From Sauna Whisk Storeroom to National Special Museum


1969–1979

 

kellari_porkkaPhoto: Seppo Saves, 1978

The Foundation for the Finnish Museum of Photography was set up by Finland`s
main photographic organizations on 6.5.1969. The Museum’s first exhibition and storage spaces were at Korkeavuorenkatu Street 2 in Ullanlinna, Helsinki.

Read more...

 

1980–1989

 

nayttely_punkari_1983Photo: Pekka Punkari 1983

In 1982, the Museum moved to Lauttasaari Island (Vattuniemenkuja Alley 4)
to premises rented from Kuva-Sampo Oy. This made the museum’s work easier and more professional, since the exhibition, office and storage space were now on street level, and conservation conditions for the collections were improved.

Read more...

 

1990–1999

 

470_kukkonen_d2009_21_43Researcher Jukka Kukkonen hanging "Valoa -otteita suomalaisen valokuvan historiaan 1839–1999"  (Light – snapshots from history of Finnish photography 1839–1999) exhibition in the Museum’s new spaces 1999.

In 1992, the Museum moved to the Cable Factory. The exhibition spaces opened where they are now, with access from the ground floor of staircase G. A year after the move to the Cable Factory, in August 1994, the Ministry of Education designated the Museum a national special museum. This put the Museum in a better position to carry out its work.

 Read more...

 

2000–2009

470_erja_img_3584

Erja Salo began work as the Museum’s first Educational Curator in 2004. Photo: Virve Laustela.

In 2004, the Finnish Museum of Photography received Uusi Suomi newspaper’s
negative collection comprising around 2.5 million pictures from Alma Media/
Iltalehti newspaper. This is Finland’s biggest press archive in a public collection.
The Museum of Photography has been cataloguing the collection since 2006,
with support from the Finnish Cultural Foundation.

Read more...

 

 

 
 

SVM_LOGO_EN_6X6_S_RGB

Follow us:
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Flickr
Youtube

 

The Finnish Museum of Photography
The Cable Factory
Tallberginkatu 1G
00180 Helsinki

Address: Tallberginkatu 1 C 85, 00180 Helsinki

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

 

PRESS

Museum Staff

Guided tours

 

Exhibition information: +35896866 3621 
Office Tue-Fri 9-15, +35896866 360

Opening hours: Tue-Sun 11-18, Wed 11-20, Mon closed. 

 

Admission fees: 8 / 5 €,
Under 18 years-olds free entrance.
Free admission on the last Wed of the month from 5 to 8 pm.

Free entry with Museokortti!

Free entry with Helsinki Card!

 

Picture Service and library
+358-9-6866 3623,  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

 

 

Accessibility: The Museum is fully accessible.

paaovipunainennuoli10

The Cable factory is located 300 metres from Ruoholahti metro station. By Tram: 8, By Bus: 20, 21V, 65A, 66A

mapsmall